Gospel Brunch

Sometime in the 90's, I put this pick together. One of my most favorite Steve Martin movies is Leap Of Faith. Brilliant movie and it had great music in it. It reminded me of a few other tracks by the Violent Femmes (and the Mercy Seat - Gordon Gano). Throw in some music from Sister Act (also from 1992) and a couple I figured would be perfect with them and this compilation came together. The name came from a gospel show that the House of Blues put together (a great show). I saw it in several cities and it was always top grade. Music and food! I am sure that there are other people that know this music inside and out who could leave a great number of suggestions in the comments, but I am at my limit here. Uptempo gospel that makes me want to stand up and clap and dance from not all gospel bands. I'd love to know more. I think it would be hard to top this one, but I would love to be wrong.

Gospel Brunch

01 Patti LaBelle - Ready For a Miracle
02 Ann Nesby - I'm Getting Ready
03 Lyle Lovett - I'm A Soldier In The Army Of The Lord
04 Aubrey Ghent - Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus
05 Violent Femmes - Jesus Walking On The Water
06 The Mercy Seat - I Don't Need Nobody Else (But Jesus)
07 Campbell Brothers featuring Katie Jackson - I Feel Good
08 John Pagano - Change in My Life
09 Bessie Smith - On Revival Day (A Rhythmic Spiritual)
10 Beyonce - Swing Low Sweet Chariot
11 Mahalia Jackson - We Shall Overcome
12 The St. Francis Choir Feat. Lauryn Hill, Ryan Toby, Devin Kamin & Ron Johnson - Joyful, Joyful
13 Pops Staples - I Shall Not Be Moved
14 Prince Dixon - Get Right Church
15 James Brown - The Old Landmark
16 The Mercy Seat - Let Me Ride
17 The Housemartins - I'll Be Your Shelter (Just Like A Shelter)
18 Whitney Houston with the Georgia Mass Choir - I Go To The Rock
19 Shirley Caesar and Ann Nesby - The Stone
20 The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day
21 Angels of Mercy - Rain Celebration Medley
22 Deloris And The Sisters - Will Follow Him (Chariot)

2 comments:

  1. Greetings,
    Found you through the 'Twilight Zone'!
    Great concept! looking forward to this mix...
    My taste is more gospel with a deep bluegrass tinge lol,
    but your comment about "....gospel that makes me want to stand up and clap and dance...'' reminded me of this one,
    should be easy to find ....

    Luther Barnes & The Red Budd Gospel Choir - My God (can do Anything)

    You're Welcome,
    obey gravity

    ReplyDelete