Tiki Exotica 1

Exotica was around since the 50's, but I wasn't around then. I discovered it for myself in the early 80's. I was fascinated with Ultra Lounge Bachelor Pad everything. I wanted a tiki bedroom, started wearing Hawaiian shirts (which I still wear to this day) and got enamored with Exotica music. Like most people, I suppose Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman are the early touchpoints. For me, I went in multiple directions with it. First, the complete world of exotica, then Polynesian, then the rest of the world. It got me into so much other music. Not just because of my Pacific Island background, although I'm sure that helped. It also branched into Surf and Punk, even though this sounds like none of that. Just outlining my musical journey and the forays into fashion and architecture because of it. I looked back at some of my parents' dance parties, including the luaus and wonder why did it take so long? Anyway here is part one of my Tiki Exotica picks. It covers some of the "hits" but also some more obscure songs. Perfect for cocktails at a pool party.

Tiki Exotica 1

01 Stanley Black and His Orchestra - Caravan
02 Sabu Martinez - Sorcery
03 Chaino - Swamp Girl
04 Frank Hunter And His Orchestra - White Goddess
05 Tipsy - Tuatara
06 Dominic Frontiere And His Orchestra - House of Pleasure
07 Piero Umiliani - Risaie
08 Martin Denny - Hypnotique
09 Martin Denny - Quiet Village
10 Robert Drasnin - Chant Of The Moon
11 Nino Nardini & Roger Roger - Bagheera
12 Esquivel And His Orchestra - Nature Boy
13 Milt Raskin - Moon Festival
14 Eden Ahbez - Banana Boy
15 The Markko Polo Adventurers - Scheherezade
16 Warren Barker - Lotus Land
17 Creepxotica - Haunted Hula
18 Don Tiki - Primitiva
19 The Gene Rains Group - Far Across The Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment