Welsh Pick

Continuing the world pick, here is my Welsh one. And I am not going to talk about the songs, except maybe Budgie. You may be asking why I am going to spend most of my time talking about Wrexham. And soccer/futbol. It all has to do with the TV show Welcome To Wrexham. I like the show. I made this compilation way before there was any thought of making the show, probably before the two of them even thought of buying a soccer team. But now that they did and the first season is over. I like the show. It was fun to see the growth of non-soccer fans becoming fans. It was fun watching the people of the town adjusting to the TV crew and also it was fun learning about Wales. Go watch the show. Now about Budgie. It's not that I like the band more than the others, but I do have a story about being a young man, loving funk, soul and disco who moved to a new town, meeting new people and learning to love bands like Rush and Budgie. That fresh view on music, being influenced by a Hawaiian rock and roller was the start of a journey. Zoom Club (and a couple of other tracks) hurried me on that journey that led me here. I didn't say it was a good story, just a story.

Welsh Pick

01 Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
02 Badfinger - Come And Get It
03 John Cale - Gun
04 Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
05 Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knockin'
06 Scritti Politti - Perfect Way
07 Budgie - Zoom Club
08 World Party - Ship of Fools
09 Young Marble Giants - Nita
10 Super Furry Animals - The Man Don't Give A Fuck
11 The Alarm - The Stand
12 Deep Purple - Child In Time
13 Man - Back Into The Future
14 Gene Loves Jezebel - Desire
15 Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
16 Stereophonics - Dakota

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! With just four exceptions, I had no idea all these bands/artists were Welsh. I lived in England until the mid- to late 1970s, moving to the US at the age of 16, and I do remember liking Budgie around the time of their first few albums.

    I've additionally grabbed the British and Scottish Picks as well as the two Celtic Picks. The Scottish mix stands out for me for a few reasons. I love the band Big Country, and "Faith Healer" happens to be my favorite song from SAHB. On top of that, I actually saw the Average White Band play "Pick Up The Pieces" at a music festival in Seattle many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I was the same, just no idea which bands were from which country until I started researching it. Very eye opening

      Delete