Africa 1

It is Brian Eno's fault. I started listening to African based pop music because of him. He had something to do with Edikanfo, so I bought the album. I had no idea about anything to do with Africa. But that one album opened up a stream of music that I could not stop. I am ignorant enough to label this all African, but I know that it is a large continent with a variety of styles of music and so much I still have no idea about. I made two compilations of my pick of African pop music. There is so much more available. I'm sure someone will post in the comments where to go next, This is just to whet your appetite, BTW, Edikanfo led to Fela Kuti, which led to Manu Dibango, which led to the rest. All because I listened to one album. I took a chance and it paid off. More tomorrow.

Africa 1

01 Zap Mama - Brrrlak!
02 Manu Dibango - Electric Africa
03 Fela Kuti - Government Chicken Boy
04 Osibisa - Music for Gong Gong
05 Mahlathini & Mahotella Queens - Kazet (Dance Remix)
06 Kotoja - Sawale
07 Thomas Mapfumo & the Blacks Unlimited - Hondo
08 Babatunde Olatunji - Soul Makossa
09 Mory Kante - Ye Ke Ye Ke
10 Edikanfo - Nka Bom
11 Kanda Bongo Man - Sai
12 Papa Wemba - M'Fono Yami
13 Baaba Maal - Mariama
14 Youssou N'Dour - Fakastalu

2 comments:

  1. Zap Mama is actually from Brussels, Belgium. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's correct, although Marie Daulne is originally from the Democratic Republic of Congo and eventually went back to there to visit many times. She doesn't consider herself, Belgian, American or African, and rather sees herself as a citizen of the world.

      Delete