Funk You Pick

I've always been a fan of Funk. And was happy that during the 80's and 90's some alternative bands were incorporating it into their musical output. I made at the time a couple of cassettes with some old and new funk. I translated that pick into CD playlists. Here are volumes 1-2 (cassette one and two) but better quality than before. They are grouped by side, so sides 1-4. This pick of mine was also posted on another great blog site by ButterBoy. Check him out!

Funk You

Side 1
01 Parliament - Bop Gun (Endangered Species)
02 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Police Helicopter
03 James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
04 Ohio Players - Fopp
05 Commodores - Slippery when wet
06 Sun - Pure Fire
07 Bootsy's Rubber Band - Jungle Bass
08 24-7 Spyz - Jungle Boogie
09 Kool & The Gang - Funky Stuff
10 Isley Brothers - Livin' In The Life-Go For Your Guns

Side 2
11 George Clinton - Do Fries Go With That Shake
12 Primus - Tommy the Cat
13 Cameo - Rigor Mortis
14 Material - Cosmic Slop
15 Earth Wind & Fire - In The Stone
16 Limbomaniacs - Shake It
17 Johnny Guitar Watson - What The Hell Is This
18 Bootsy Collins - Bootzilla
19 Stone Funkers - S.T.O.N.E.F.U.N.K. Theme
20 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Catholic School Girls Rule

Side 3
21 Tackhead - Stealing
22 Lenny Kravitz - Always On The Run
23 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
24 Prince & the Revolution - Let's Go Crazy
25 Rick Derringer - Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo
26 Thin Lizzy - Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
27 Funkadelic - Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock!
28 The Time - Skillet
29 Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot
30 Primus - Harold Of The Rocks
31 Deep Purple - Gettin' Tighter
32 Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits
33 Mother's Finest - Niggizz Can't Sang Rock & Roll

Side 4
34 Aerosmith - Last Child
35 Billy Squier - The Stroke
36 David Bowie - Fame
37 Fishbone - Freddie's Dead
38 Dan Reed Network - Get To You
39 Rolling Stones - Fingerprint File
40 Faith No More - We Care A Lot
41 Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music
42 Urban Dance Squad - Fast Lane
43 Primus - John The Fisherman
44 Living Colour - Open Letter (To A Landlord)
45 Trapeze - Way Back To The Bone
46 Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

4 comments:

  1. As you may already know, I'm also a big fan of funk, especially from the late 60s to mid 70s (jazz-funk, soul jazz, etc). I'm impressed you mentioned Trapeze's "Way Back to the Bone" (I still have the original LP and CD). Unfortunately, many think the term 'funk' is only applied to acts like James Brown, Parliament, etc. I tend to use "Groove" (hence my own blog name) a lot so as to not confuse. But yes, I love that funky groove in "Way Back to the Bone." The same with Aerosmith's "Last Child." LOVE that groove (or funk, don't matter to me what people label it). I think you've inspired me to do one of my own, lol.

    Awesome tracks!

    P.S. Call me strange - one of my favorite Primus tracks is "Is It Luck?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're a lot alike. Can't wait to hear your Funk You comp. Send it and I'll post it here!

      Delete
    2. Btw check out George's blog: https://groovylibrary.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. That's me Pol, lol. I mentioned earlier about "groove" in my blog name. If I named it "Funky Library," then (assuming) many would think James Brown, Parliament, etc.

      My contribution this week for butterboy's series is once again funky. I've done other themes (classical, jump blues, oldies) but I keep coming back to the funk. :)

      Delete