Polka Pick

How come I'm posting Polka the day after a Punk Primer? Good question. It goes back to my childhood and to my wife. You see I married a Polack (second generation, but 100% Polish descent). Her family grew up dancing Polkas. Not me. We grew up with Polack jokes (to be fair, we also grew up with jokes  based on every kind of racial, national combination you can think of, including Dutch and especially Belgian.) My dad was like Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady. He treated everyone the same - including himself. So ballroom dancing in my house. No polkas. But I married into this family, so being the music guy I am, started with the only polkas I knew (Weird Al) and began from there to check it out. Found some good traditional polkas and some more contemporary ones. Here are the favorites in this Polka Pick. Click on the accordion and go to jail. BTW the most punk thing you can do today is listen to Polka loud and in public!

Polka Pick

01 Brave Combo - Take Me Out to the Ballgame (Polka)
02 Bob Crosby - Hop Scotch Polka
03 The Casuals An American Polka Band - Grab Your Balls We're Goin' Bowling
04 The Babe Wagner Band - Doghouse Polka
05 Big Daddy Lackowski and the La De Das - Automobile Polka
06 The Babe Wagner Band - On Your Toes
07 Big Daddy Lackowski and the La De Das - Ukrania Polka
08 Walter Ostanek & His Band - Who Stole the Keeshka Polka
09 Big Daddy Lackowski and the La De Das - Jersey Jet Polka
10 Jimmy Dorsey - Julida Polka
11 Frankie Yankovic - Licorice Stick Polka
12 Jimmy Dorsey - Clarinet Polka
13 Walt Solek - Ta-Ra-Ra-Boom-De-Ay
14 Frankie Yankovic - Pennsylvania Polka
15 Bobby Vinton - Beer Barrel Polka
16 Jimmy Dorsey - Helena Polka
17 Mom & Dads - Liechtensteiner Polka
18 Frankie Yankovic - Just Because
19 Lynnmarie - No Beer Today
20 Frankie Yankovic - Too Fat Polka
21 Frankie Yankovic - I'm Gonna Get A Dummy
22 Walter Legawiec & His Polka Kings - Let's Get Married Polka
23 Frankie Yankovic - Hoop De Doo
24 Bobby Vinton - That's Amore
25 Walt Solek - Krakowiak
26 Clean Living - In Heaven There Is No Beer
27 Weird Al Yankovic - Polkamon
28 Weird Al Yankovic - Polkas On 45

3 comments:

  1. I mentioned in the previous comp series (butterboys) comments section about doing a polka set. Well, I wasn't serious but tried to stir up some discussion,... to no avail.

    Polka is fun. Like dixieland music, I could watch it live for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that discussion, but glad to fulfill your wishes anyway

      Delete
    2. It didn't turn into a discussion at all, lol.

      Delete