Hardly Soft

This pick came about because of Concrete Blonde (and Krezip). I met Johnette Napolitano at a radio convention when their first album was coming out. They hadn't even seen it in print yet. And they were not famous and they were really nice. Hanging out with me and my buddies waiting for their rep to bring out the first copies of their LP. So we talked for awhile, had some common interests and just messed around. One of the things that she told me was that they came up with the name Concrete Blonde (After Dream 6) because it was Hard and Soft at the same time which is what they were trying to sound like. Later that day I got to hear Still In Hollywood and I thought it was as good as if not better than anything on Dream 6 (Tomorrow May Never Come, etc). Later when Krezip, a Dutch band, came out, it reminded me of Concrete Blonde and some other hard, but soft songs. That's when I made this playlist compilation pick. The title was a play on the original idea behind it all.

Hardly Soft

01 Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
02 Krezip - All Unsaid
03 No Doubt - Don't Speak
04 Garbage - Til The Day I Die
05 Hole - Jennifer's Body
06 Juliana Hatfield Three - My Sister
07 The Pretenders - Kid
08 Concrete Blonde - True
09 Letters To Cleo - Dangerous Type
10 Josie and the Pussycats - 3 Small Words
11 L7 - Pretend We're Dead
13 Patti Smith - Gloria
14 Joan Jett - Crimson and Clover
15 Brix Smith - Oringina
16 Pixies - Gigantic
17 Janis Joplin - Piece Of My Heart
18 Jefferson Starship - Somebody To Love
19 Mary Lou Lord - Some Jingle Jangle Morning
20 Bjork and PJ Harvey - Satisfaction
21 The Heads - Damage I've Done

2 comments: