Them's Fighting Words 2 (Southern Rock Pick)

Continuing on with the Southern Rock pick that I call Them's Fighting Words, here's volume 2 of this multi volume series. In this playlist we get some more of my favorites. The first volume was some of the first probably more mainstream southern rock songs, but I missed a few that wouldn't fit on a CD. This has got a couple less "popular" songs mixed in with Ramblin' Man which is probably the definitive Southern Rock song. I'm pretty sure I know why Nashville Pussy isn't hitting the mainstream, but I love their sound. And, boy, are they great in concert. Kentucky Headhunters, Black Stone Cherry, Grinderswitch all fit in nicely among FreeBird and the "Bands" (Charlie, Allman, Marshall). More coming tomorrow!

Them's Fighting Words 2

17 Charlie Daniels Band - The South's Gonna Do It Again
18 Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man
19 Marshall Tucker Band - Take The Highway
20 Atlanta Rhythm Section - Homesick
21 Wet Willie - Keep On Smilin'
22 Nashville Pussy - Pillbilly
23 Ram Jam - Black Betty
24 Blackberry Smoke - Pretty Little Lie
25 Blackfoot - Train  Train
26 Ozark Mountain Daredevils - If You Wanna Get To Heaven
27 Black Stone Cherry - Lonely Train
28 The Kentucky Headhunters - Walk Softly On This Heart Of Mine
29 Grinderswitch - Miss Understanding
30 38 Special - Caught Up In You
31 Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song
32 Gregg Allman - I'm No Angel
33 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
34 Little Feat - Dixie Chicken

3 comments:

  1. I like that Charlie Daniels Band tune more than his other hit. Love the Ozarks (Car Over the Lake album is my fav). I'd say my "Caught Up in You" is my second fav .38 Special track. I remember going nutz over Gregg's "I'm No Angel." I purchased the cassette asap. Too bad I didn't care much for rest of album. As for the awesome "Black Betty," I never understood (and don't care to either) the link to southern music. I've never heard/read the connection until the internet. The song (Ram Jam's version) is hard rock, simple as that. I suppose the connection would be to the original artist (Lead Belly) but the song (Ram Jam's version) is far from southern as I'm concerned. But that's just me. Great stuff! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like that Black Betty mentions Alabama, but more importantly appears in Dukes Of Hazard. Can't get more South than that.... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I never got into Dukes of Hazard. Back in very early 80s, we went to visit an old girlfriend's relatives and once the show came on, they stopped whatever they were doing and huddled over to the tele. I had no choice but to sit through it - that hour felt like I was stuck in mud for days on end, lol.

      I have a cherished yet hilarious memory of "Black Betty," but unfortunately, it's "had-to-be-there" material. Maybe I'll mention it later on. I do plan on writing anecdotes on my blog, whenever that will be, haha.

      Delete