Rap 1

This is all part of a series of Rap Music. Started yesterday with the Hip Hop Jazz, but that's not where it started for me. My claim is not that these are the "best" rap songs, just my pick. And kind of in the order that I was exposed to the genre. And what I bought as I was listening to Rap. Remember pretty much none of this was available on radio or MTV at the time. You heard about a track and you went to Tower Records to try to find it mixed in with the disco records. For me its started with Birthday Party (not on this pick, but on the Birthday What's The Connection) and then Flash to The Beat. Soon after I discovered 12 inch singles of  White Lines, The Message and Hustlers Convention. Like most young men discovering this music my friends and I memorized the lyrics. At this time I had no idea how much was out there already and had been for years. Some of it I knew as you will see in future volumes of this. But as others were trying to do the lyrics of Sugarhill Gang, we concentrated on "Broken glass everywhere, People pissing on the stairs like they just don't care..." I was visiting New York several times a year around this time and I realized how NY it was. We loved it.

Rap 1

01 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Flash To The Beat
02 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Freedom
03 Grand Master Melle Mel & The Furious Five - The Truth
04 Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five - Hustlers Convention
05 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Scorpio
06 Grandmaster Melle Mel - White Lines
07 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Pump Me Up
08 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
09 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Survival (Message II)
10 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - New York New York
11 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - It's Nasty (Genius Of Love)
12 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Step Off
13 Grand Master Melle Mel & The Furious Five - World War III

No comments:

Post a Comment