Fakin' Jamaican 5

I really like this pick. The whole series is good. Bands that play a reggaefied version of whatever they normally play. I started with white washed Jamaican music (ska, reggae) but any reggae rock would do as long as they weren't primarily reggae artists, but even that I've fudged over the years. This fifth one of the series is not the last, so enjoy what you get. Pretend about some of these. I know. I just liked the songs and put them in.

Fakin' Jamaican 5

89 The Guess Who - Follow Your Daughter Home
90 Yvonne Elliman - I'm Gonna Use What I Got To Get What I Need
91 Laid Back - Sunshine Reggae
92 Bad Manners - My Girl Lollipop (My Boy Lollypop)
93 311 - All Mixed Up
94 Ace Of Base - All That She Wants
95 Red Rat - Tight Up Skirt
96 Reel Big Fish - Sell Out
97 Graham Parker - Don't Ask Me Questions
98 Pretenders - Walk Like A Panther
99 Sean Paul - Gimmie the Light
100 Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
101 John Cale - Graham Greene
102 Scritti Politti - The Sweetest Girl
103 Elton John - Jamaica Jerk-Off
104 Tim Curry - I Will
105 Lou Christie - Two Faces Have I
106 MU330 - KKK Highway
107 Steely Dan - Haitian Divorce
108 The Police - So Lonely
109 Mephiskapheles - The Bumble Bee Tuna Song

5 comments:

  1. A bit confused. This is about fake Jamaicans. You included Shaggy and the Skatalites? And did I miss Jonathan Richman - Egyptian Reggae, or the most notorious white seventies reggae artist Judge Dread? You cleverly wormed your way out with a nice disclaimer. (Not true reggae artists, and even that went fluid). I very much like that you included Grupo Sportivo. Maybe you should give New Shoes a listen, by Mark Foggo. The Piglets an english studio group made the Fake but classic Johnny Reggae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I will check out Judge Dread, Foggo and the Piglets I didn't know about them. I'm pretty sure Jonathan Richman was in there somewhere. If not, I screwed up because he was on my list for sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
    2. You forgot Sean Paul. He's also Jamaican.

      Delete
  2. Maybe my previous comment gor lost somewhere. I think you did forget Jonathan Richman. Which volume is he on? There are some other beautiful fakey jamaicans. Serge Gainsbourg did a French National Anthem. Also try Doe Maar (Nederwiet), Ruud Gullit - Not the Dancing Kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look. I have some Doe Maar, but nothing with that track. Haven't listened to them in a while. Ruud Gullit sounds familiar, but I might be thinking of my Uncle, Oom Ruud.

      Delete