British Reggae

I was at the Butterboy site and got a compilation called Don't Call Us Immigrants which is quite good. It got me thinking of all the Reggae I was exposed to (and loved) that was not from Jamaica. So this pick is all British Reggae bands (It might already be posted on the BB site, but I had to post it here too). I came across these (mostly in the 80's) when I was disovering reggae in general. Not sure which I heard first, UB40 or Black Slate, but I quickly found reggae from the 70's. This has no doubles with the previously mentioned compialtion and also has none of the reggae influenced bands like Eric Clapton, nor any Two Tone or even the punk bands that played reggae songs like The Ruts or The Clash. Just British bands some with a Jamaican heritage, but some not at all, but showing their love for the music coming out of a special Caribbean island and putting their own spin on it. I hope you like it and I hope you come up with a few suggestions of songs I left off. Notice the Red, Green and Gold Union Jack.

British Reggae

01 Dub Syndicate - Night Train
02 Beshara - Men Cry Too
03 Gappy Ranks - Heaven In Her Eyes
04 Maxi Priest - In The Springtime
05 The Cats - Swan Lake
06 Aswad - Don't Turn Around
07 General Levy - Champagne Body
08 Black Slate - Amigo
09 Matumbi - Point Of View
10 Creation Rebel - Dub From Creation
11 UB40 - Food for Thought
12 Misty In Roots - How Long Jah
13 Mad Professor - Kunte Kinte-The African Warrior
14 Carroll Thompson - I'm So Sorry
15 Alpha & Omega - Rastafari
16 Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie
17 Steel Pulse - Roller Skates
18 Pato Banton - Don't Sniff Coke

No comments:

Post a Comment