Green Onions 1

This will be a fun collection for you. But it's not that it hasn't been done before. Several people with blogs like this one (see side panel for some clues of some that I visit) have done various kinds of "instro" comps. My pick isn't surf oriented though. I started with Green Onions by Booker T & The MG's (which they named by thinking of the funkiest thing they could at that moment) and compared each track to that. It did not have to sound exactly like that (or else I would have just made a pick with all the versions of it - although I do have quite a few versions of it over the next several volumes of this) but it had to be complimentary. So mostly no real vocals. It had to sound soulful and feel funky to me. A couple of tracks sound like Green Onions but have vocals, I let those slide. You tell me, on each volume, how I did. The cover is plain looking. No text on the cover (like no vocals), but I already broke that rule. I'm so clever. LOL! Not. But I think I am. Just pretend along with me.

Green Onions 1

01 Jack McDuff - Hunk O' Funk
02 The Meters - Cissy Strut
03 Young-Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut
04 Jimmy Nicol - Husky
05 Rose Royce - Yo Yo
06 Funk Inc. - Thang
07 Instant Funk - Float Like a Butterfly (part 2)
08 The Funk Brothers - Home Cookin'
09 Dennis Landry - Concentration
10 Sonny Boy Williamson - Help Me (instrumental)
11 MFSB featuring The Three Degrees - TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia)
12 Gene Harris - Your Love Is Just Too Much
13 Bar-Kays - Soul Finger
14 Billy Preston - Outa-Space
15 The Rolling Stones - Stoned
16 Dennis Coffey & the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
17 Jimmy Mcgriff - I've Got A Woman
18 Isaac Hayes - Type Thang
19 The T-Bones - No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)
20 The Mar-Keys - Last Night
21 Booker T & The Mg's - Green Onions
22 Cliff Nobles And Co. - The Horse
23 Routers - Let's Go (Pony)

4 comments:

  1. ERROR ERROR ERROR
    07 should be the b-sde, this a-side part 1 is FULL VOX
    Might as well put The Mohaeks in with The Champ, at least they only shout Champ once in a while, but funky as Madame Jeanette.....or....
    Asiko - Hot Black
    Propositions - Africana
    Marijata - Mother Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I fixed it. Newly uploaded with part 2 instead of part 1. Good catch!

      Delete
  2. And Sonny Boy track 10 also has a lovely text.

    ReplyDelete