Pub Rock

For me, Pub rock became a thing when Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Rockpile, Wreckless Eric came to my attention. When I started to follow it collecting records, I was not surprised how much I liked. This is my pick of the records I collected from this genre. I had fun with the cover although I cannot say that it is from an actual British Pub. And that is kind of where all the pub rock bands originated. But I am blatantly promoting a beer from Sacramento that I officially no longer have any stake in. Although this is my favorite one they brew (except for the Hoppy Claus, that's excellent too). In fact all their beers are quite good. I won't mention that they are Hoppy Brewing in Sacramento at the rails. Don't mention this blog to the manager, Troy, because you will not get anything special for it. Nothing. Maybe they will let you wash dishes. But probably not even that. Even if you mention that the lettering of the title is filled with their beer. He won't be impressed.

Pub Rock

01 Ducks Deluxe - Coast To Coast
02 Dr. Feelgood - Milk And Alcohol
03 Eddie & The Hot Rods - Teenage Depression
04 Bees Make Honey - Caldonia
05 Nine Below Zero - Doghouse
06 Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knockin'
07 Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World
08 Nick Lowe - I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass
09 Graham Parker - Local Girls
10 Ace - How Long
11 Ian Dury - Wake Up And Make Love With Me
12 Mickey Jupp - Switchboard Susan
13 Bees Make Honey - Music Every Night
14 Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind
15 Brinsley Schwarz - Surrender To The Rhythm
16 The Count Bishops - Teenage Letter
17 The 101'ers - Sweet Revenge
18 Motors - Airport
19 Kilburn & The High Roads - Rough Kids
20 Eddie & The Hot Rods - Do Anything You Want To Do
21 Elvis Costello - Welcome to the Working Week
22 Rockpile - Teacher Teacher
23 Electric Bluebirds - Back On The Train

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm familiar with quite a few (but not all) of these particular tracks. A couple of years ago, I made a sort of project out of listening to a whole bunch of bands that I thought of as fitting into the pub rock genre. Eventually, I realized that there seemed to be so much variation (in terms of styles and approaches -- ranging from hard-driving, almost punk-sounding r&b and power pop to mellowish country rock) among the different groups that I could no longer understand what the term "pub rock" even meant! However, I will note that "Teacher Teacher" is one of my all-time favorites, and also that I actually saw Ducks Deluxe play live. That was back when I was about 14 years old. They were the opening act for Lou Reed at the Rainbow Theatre in London. Unfortunately, none of my friends had any interest in Lou Reed at all, so I ended up going to that show by myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it was time for new friends... but I realized that was a while ago, so I'm sure you have already. Lou live was fairly great every time I saw him. Didn't get to see Ducks Deluxe, darn.

      Delete