Pol's Country Pick 1

I grew up in California. The most country I got growing up was the Eagles or maybe Marie Osmond. I didn't get into country until I was in college. And even then it was mostly what people now are calling alt-country. But as a DJ you had to play some country no matter where you are in this nation. I almost said country again. So this series is some of the first country I ever started liking mixed in with some alt stuff that came later. I found the Dorothy Shay because of Marti Brom and the Cornell Hurd Band. I saw them do a show in Austin on one of my many trips out there, but not one of the South by Southwest trips. I was told by a good friend to make the trip to see them and he was right. Totally worth it. She sang some Dorothy Shay songs which I looked up later and fell in love. I put in the original on this pick, but do check out Brom's version it's quite good too. If you look at the list many of these are bands that weren't really country bands, sort of. Elvis, Wall Of Voodoo, etc. And then off shoots from other bands: Ministry, X, Violent Femmes, etc. and then some comedy and a variety.

Pol's Country Pick 1

01 Tom T Hall - I Like Beer
02 Travis Tritt - T-R-O-U-B-L-E (Single Version)
03 Elvis Costello - Psycho (Live)
04 Tammy Wynette - D-I-V-O-R-C-E
05 Wall Of Voodoo - The Good The Bad & The Ugly-Hang 'Em High
06 Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
07 Dorothy Shay - Feudin' and Fightin'
08 Rodney Carrington - Show Them To Me
09 Supersuckers - Mean-Eyed Cat
10 Jerry Reed - She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)
11 Paul Kelly & The Stormwater Boys - Little Boy Don't Lose Your Balls
12 Everything But the Girl - Draining the Bar
13 Green On Red - Mighty Gun
14 Eddie Spaghetti - I Don't Want To Lose You Yet
15 August Campbell & the Spur of the Moment Band - I-95 Song
16 Whistlin' Bullets - Bit By Love
17 Beat Farmers - Lucille
18 Junior Brown - My Wife Thinks Your Dead
19 Buck Satan and The 666 Shooters - I Hate Every Bone in Your Body Except Mine
20 Garry Lee and Showdown - The Rodeo Song
21 Knitters - The Call Of The Wreckin Ball
22 Two Nice Girls - I Spent My Last $10 (On Birth Control And Beer)
23 Brian Ritchie - Religion Ruined My Life
24 Calexico - Sunken Waltz

4 comments:

  1. If you haven't come across it yet, check out a weirdly dark (I guess it was funny at the time?) song by Dorothy Shay titled "Say That We're Sweethearts Again"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dorothy Shay! Park Avenue Hillbilly! "You can always get me at room 304 in General Hospital" LOL

      Delete