That's Nice, That's Real Nice

I've already posted a few volumes of my Country Picks, but this is the one that started it. I was visiting Texas and going to shows, meeting women from Texas and thinking I might move there. This was some thirty or so years ago. I took another twenty-five years to do it, but eventually I moved. Anyway driving the countryside I was listening to a lot of mainstream country music, which was okay, but I longed for something more alternative. So this pick came into being. Some of the bands I had seen in Texas were the Starkweathers and the Cornell Hurd Band. I loved the punk attitude of the Starkweathers. Live they did a great version of This Land Is Your Land (I never found a studio version of it by them, but they did it amazingly well). The Cornell Hurd Band was originally from San Jose (where I had been living) and were reason enough to come to Austin. They had a weekly gig at a Mexican restaurant which is no longer there. And rocked the place. Another band that I heard first in Austin was Junior Brown! Wow! Goober & the Peas was a band I saw in the beginning of  their career (one of their early members was Jack White.) I saw them play in New York on the same night that Guns and Roses played at the CBGB's Canteen. GNR sucked and I predicted they would go nowhere and a week later they were no. 2 in the charts - I can call them. But Goober & the Peas were great! The title came from a Texas saying.

That's Nice, That's Real Nice

01 Starkweathers - Burn The Flag
02 Kelly Hogan & The Pine Valley Cosmonauts - 13 Nights
03 Goober & The Peas - Hot Women (Cold Beer)
04 Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
05 The Hollisters - Roses Are Blooming
06 The Unholy Trio - Bring The Noise
07 Moonshine Willy - Roulette Wheel
08 Knitters - Poor Little Critter On The Road
09 The Roughnecks - Going Home
10 Lone Justice - Ways To Be Wicked
11 Jimmie Dale Gilmore & Mudhoney - Buckskin Stallion Blues
12 Red Star Belgrade - Highway To Hell
13 Br549 - Too Lazy To Work, Too Nervous To Steal
14 Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
15 Vandals - Long Hair Queer
16 The Cornell Hurd Band - Here Comes My Ball And Chain Again
17 Waco Brothers - Do You Think About Me-
18 Old 97's - Por Favor
19 Ween - Piss Up A Rope
20 Confederate Railroad - Trashy Women
21 Junior Brown - Doin' What Comes Easy To A Fool
22 Dead Kennedys - Rawhide
23 Trailer Bride - Ghost On The Highway
24 Starkweathers - White Trash Boy
25 Robby Fulks - She Took A Lot Of Pills (And Died)

4 comments:

  1. Can you retrieve this file Pol? Link is not accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says a registered user can retrieve it from Archive.

      Delete
    2. Don't pay attention to that, Ufile became this bitcoin hungry crapfest, so I moved everything over to Proton. It's now reupped. Working on the Country Picks over the next hour.

      Delete