Collections Of An Ass. Man.

This is one of those cassettes made by someone else for me, from my albums. At the time I was the Assistant Manager of a record store. This was early 80's, probably '81 or '82 and I was proud of having several hundred albums. Thinking about it, it must have been later in 1982 because the John Waite had just come out and she loved that album (so did I). This pick was made from those albums by an old girlfriend who also loved music. The title was chosen by her, the music chosen by her. But the albums I owned were all chosen by me. I was picking albums by their covers. I sometimes hadn't even heard the music at all. Kate Bush was one of those albums. I loved the cover and got it (using my discount at the store), then discovered I loved Kate Bush. Still one of my favorite artists. The cover is a recreation of what the cassette looked like. We were both proud that I was an Ass. Man. Young and dumb.

Collections Of An Ass. Man.

01 Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
02 Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
03 Dionne Warwick - Message To Michael
04 Mary Wells - My Guy
05 The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
06 Paul Revere & the Raiders - Louie Louie
07 Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
08 Dionne Warwick - Going Out Of My Head
09 The Platters - Harbor Lights
10 Everly Brothers - Let It Be Me
11 Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream
12 Dionne Warwick - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
13 Everly Brothers - Like Strangers
14 Dionne Warwick - You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)
15 Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You
16 John Waite - Change
17 John Waite - Mr. Wonderful
18 Kate Bush - Them Heavy People
19 Kate Bush - L'Amour Looks Something Like You

3 comments:

  1. I heard and loved Kate's "This Woman's Work" back in 90 or 91. Later purchased a cassette (Sensual World) and did nothing for me. Many years later, I gave "Hounds of Love" a listen and the same result. A few artists/bands are like that - revered by the masses, but does nothing for me.

    "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "Change" are my top 2 from this comp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, that sounded like a negative nancy. I should have added/elaborated - Kate has a nice voice, but it's the overall music that doesn't quite resonate. I don't find her music offensive or annoying, etc. I actually don't mind a few of her tunes - I just don't listen to it anymore. Fortunately, never say never. I've come back to (at that time & imo) sub-par artists years later only to end up enjoying them.

      Delete
    2. I get the Kate Bush, people love her or not. I am on the love side. And the rest of these songs are just magnificent, either way. I do love the Platters, but I like the Inkspots more (not on this comp)

      Delete